Author’s Note: Originally posted on December 30, 2019, this story was updated on Janaury 29, 2021 and April 8, 2022. Cuyahoga County’s plastic bag ban was delayed and took effect in January 2022.
It’s time to choose reusable bags, Cuyahoga County. Disposable plastic bags are a major source of pollution in our environment and our waterways. They also harm wildlife and people and impose cleanup costs on our communities.
The Plastic Bag Ban
Cuyahoga County passed a county-wide ban on plastic bags that goes into effect on January 1, 2020. By passing legislation, Cuyahoga County joins the many other communities and nations who are taking steps to curb plastic pollution. The plastic bag ban prohibits grocery, retail and convenience stores from providing disposable bags at checkout, but retailers may still provide recyclable paper bags and sell reusable bags.
How-To Tips for Reusable Bags
We can all be part of the solution to plastic pollution. Consider these tips to remember your reusable bags by choosing to #BYOBags when you shop.
- Write “Bags” at the top of your shopping list. Take a look at the list before you leave the house and prior to stepping out of your car at the store.
- As soon as you unpack your groceries or other shopping, hang the empties by your front door so you remember to take them back out to the car.
- Buckle them into the front passenger seat or somewhere visible from your front seat, so you don’t forget.
- Place a sticky note on your dashboard or instrument panel to remind you to take your bags into the store. Request a BYOBags vinyl window cling for your vehicle or home.
- Set a reminder or an alarm on your phone for shopping days.
- Stash a reusable nylon or canvas bag in your purse or backpack. They fold down to nothing.
- Involve your kids. Put them in charge of helping you remember to have your special bags AND take them into the store.
- It’s easier to remember your bags if there are many options to choose from! Canvas, vinyl or cloth are a good choice. Find a design or color that matches your personality and purchasing habits. Plus, more bags mean more areas to strategically place them so you don’t forget.
- Set your bags by the door so you remember to take them to your car for your next shopping trip to the mall or for groceries.
- Signs, signs, signs. Ask your favorite grocer or store to help you remember by posting helpful signs in the parking lot or at the entrance to the mall and retail space.
Reduce Plastic Waste
It’s a new year! Resolve to use reusable bags every time you go to the store. For ideas about how to make other changes that benefit the environment, see our tips about reducing plastic waste in your everyday life.
About the District
The Cuyahoga County Solid Waste District is the leading resource in Cuyahoga County, Ohio for information, expertise and programs that support sustainable materials management and reduce the environmental impact of waste.POSTED ON: